Thursday, October 1, 2009

Still Going Strong

Been taking the script to bed at night. Sleeping with it. After all it is about sleeping and dreams.

Since I have been working from an outline for the first time it has worked well. However, I don't write from it very strictly. I simply use it as a guide for what I was thinking originally. Unrelated Story Example: When I outline its very short hand- Sam goes to missile silo and disables the launch system. Sam is captured. Sam is tortured. Etc. The general context for this example is that Sam did something that has consequences. Then when its time to write the scenes you use this short hand as a launching point. Sam is tortured could be a suspenseful moment, it could be a comedic moment or it is up to you and how you want your wall of story to look when your done.

I don't find myself using the outline all that often actually. Usually it is if I hit a short wall. A moment where I could be writing but I lose focus because of a phone call or something else.

I edit as I go. Many writers strongly advise against this but I find that every time I think about the story I have changes. I just write notes in the margins then solidify them in Final Draft. When I work on the script I read it all the way through first every time and do the notes. From that point I can work on the story and continue it. Sometimes major things come up during this process. I find things out about each character. I found out that the father to the lead character is a hard nosed baby boomer that does things the old fashioned way, change comes rarely but when it does it shocks him.

Everyone writes differently, has a different process. I am still in the stages of finding out some crucial things. It is only after I wrote in script form over and over again that I can start to pick up on things like how I come about structure. For instance, the elements in "traditional structure" may exist in every great script and every great movie. But that doesn't mean that all of those writers formed a pact and handed out a standard outline saying this is how you do it.

The Coen Brothers use no outline. They just write and take a nap then maybe write some more later. Apparently they sometimes put a script down for a long time and come back years later. I guess this was the case with Millers Crossing and Fargo. I don't think an outline is necessary for them- they are adapting. However do they have incredible memories or do they refer to the book. Well niether. If you listen to the Creative Screenwriting Magazine Interview with Joel and Ethan and the host Jeff Goldsmith they seem really free flow about the entire process. In fact they give research credit to production departments. The success of the Coen's has always been an inspiration for me so I did a little research on them - know your influences right? - I would have to say that it was a good thing for me to do because 1) I was shocked by the way they write. 2) I realized that I didn't know my on style because I am inexperienced. and 3) They are much more than just great writers, they are excellent film makers in many aspects.

Final note- This Friday I am teaming up with a couple of Anthony's and we are going to work on a short that Anthony and I will co-direct.

Should be nice.

No comments: